- 17 minutes from "KL Sentral" Terminal (via the "Monorail" intra-city commuter train/metro)
- 12 minutes from "Hentian Puduraya" Bus Terminal (via "LRT" intra-city commuter train/metro)
- 30 minutes from "Terminal Bersepadu Selatan" or "Southern Integrated Terminal" (via "Monorail" & "LRT" intra-city commuter train/metro)
- easiest landmark : the "Monorail" - Chow Kit stop (we're just 50 meters away)
- Kuala Lumpur's traveller-friendly lodge -
We are temporary closed for business effective 1st Dec 2015 until further notice.
For further info, kindly email us : firstname.lastname@example.org
"If suddenly you find yourself feeling hungry ... the best place to go is Kampung Baru" -the New Straits Times (page 8), March 17, 2007.
What Do We Offer ???
FREE High-Speed (5Mbps) Broadband Internet Access available 24-hours
FREE High-Speed (5Mbps) WiFi/Wireless Internet available 24-hours
FREE Map of Kuala Lumpur & Malaysia
FREE Hot & Cold Showers
FREE Use of Security Lockers for your valuables (use your own padlock)
FREE Use of the Guest Kitchen/Pantry
- Laundry for RM15 per load (max. 5 kg per load), Express Service RM20
- All-female dorm available
- Self-ironing corner
- Tour bookings to Taman Negara National Park (rainforest), Kuala Gandah Elephant Sanctuary, Kuala Selangor Fireflies, Putrajaya, etc .
- 24-hour check-in available
- Common Lounge with satellite TV channels & over 130 movie titles on VCDs/DVDs, reading corner, jumbo size maps of KL, Selangor state, Malaysia & the World Map. Great place to meet fellow travellers & to find new travel buddies !
We have resident cats in the premises, so those who are allergic may not want to stay here !
Our Unbelievably-Low Room Rates !!!
Single-Budget (fan) Private Rooms (shared bath) RM40.00 per room
Single-Basic (a/c) Private Room (shared bath) RM50.00 per room
Single-Standard (a/c) Private Room (attached bath) RM55.00 per room
Twin-Budget (fan) Private Rooms (shared bath) RM50.00 per room
Twin-Basic (a/c) Private Room (shared bath) RM60.00 per room
Twin-Standard (a/c) Private Room (attached bath) RM65.00 per room
Double-Budget (fan) Private Rooms (shared bath) RM50.00 per room
Double-Basic (a/c) Private Room (shared bath) RM60.00 per room
Double-Standard (a/c) Private Room (attached bath) RM65.00 per room
Quadruple - bunk beds (fan) Private Room (shared bath) RM68.00 per room
6-bed mixed (a/c) Dorm (shared bath) RM25.00 per person
8-bed female (a/c) Dorm (shared bath) RM23.00 per person
10-bed mixed (a/c) Dorm (shared bath) RM23.00 per person
4-bed mixed (fan) Dorm (shared bath) RM21.00 per person
12-bed mixed (fan) Dorm (shared bath) RM19.00 per person
Check-out Time : 11:00
Hostel Address :No. 73 & 75, Jalan Haji Hussein
(we are located between 7-Eleven & Klinik Lee)
Off Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz
District of Chow Kit & Kampung Baru
50300 Kuala Lumpur
+6012 391 5686 (24-hours)
+603 2691 5686
+603 2691 1791
MAJOR ATTRACTIONS IN & AROUND K.L. :
Petronas Twin Towers
- world's tallest twin towers (452 metres)
- RM40 tickets for the Skybridge guided tour, & RM80 for the top floor
- guided tours closed on Mondays
- 4th tallest communications tower (421 metres) after CN Tower (Toronto), Ostankino Tower (Moscow), Oriental Pearl Tower (Shanghai)
- revolving restaurant
- within the 11.05 hectares Bukit Nanas Forest Reserve (gazetted in 1906)
- entrance fee to observation deck : RM38.00
- 13km north of KL city centre
- discovered by Indian traders in the 1800s, & rediscovered by American naturalist, William Hornaday in 1878
- the Temple Cave at the top has a 100m high ceiling
- on the eve of Thaipusam Day, a silver chariot procession carrying the deity Sri Mahamariamman begin from Sri Mahamariamman temple in KL towards Batu Caves, this event attracts tens of thousands worshippers
Putrajaya (Malaysia's New Administrative Capital City)
- 35km south of KL city centre
- landmarks : Putrajaya Mosque, Prime Minister's Office Complex, lakes, bridges, wetlands, parks etc
- magnificent architecture & landscape
Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square)
- the 100 metre flagpole (world's tallest) was the site where the Malaysian flag was hoisted on 31st August 1957 when independence was won from the then British Empire
- located opposite Dataran Merdeka, this Moorish design buildings were built in 1897 to house government offices under the British rule
- today it houses the Courts & a Textile Museum
- used to be a wet market, now turned into an arts, cultural, & handicrafts centre
- cultural performances during weekends
- a 91.6 hectare garden, it is KL's most popular park
- in the vicinity are the Deer Park (9am-6pm, free admission), Hibiscus Garden (9am-6pm, free admission), Bird Park - world's largest covered bird park (9am-5pm), Butterfly Park (9am-6pm), & Orchid Garden (9am-6pm, free admission).
- the 15.5 metre tall bronze monument built in 1966 to honour fallen war heroes
- built in the 1960s, its open-umbrella-shape roofed prayer hall features contemporary Islamic architecture, with its distinct 73-metre tall minaret
- listen to a 15-minute free talk on Islam by volunteers from Islamic Outreach - ABIM non-profit organisation
- within the mosque compound, former Prime Ministers & Deputy Prime Ministers are buried here
- closed to tourists during prayer times
- exhibition on Malaysia's history of its people of various races & religion
- opens 9am-6pm daily, RM2.00 entrance fee
- the official residence of the King in KL
- the King is selected from the 9 sultans, every 5 years
- located on Jalan Conlay, near Bukit Bintang area
- various stalls offer insight how the crafts are made including batik printing
- Sunway Lagoon : wet & dry park, surfing pool, roller-coasters etc
- Sunway Pyramid : shops & eateries, ice-skating rink, cineplex
(Kampung Bharu, Malaysia Tourism Centre)
- 1.00pm - 2.00pm : arrive at HC, freshen up with a good shower
- 2.30pm - 3.30pm : walk 10 minutes to Kampung Baru for authentic Malay food in natural "kampung" (village) setting right in the middle of KL. Have tea and Malay "kuih-muih" (delicacies)
- 4.00pm - 6.00pm : visit Malaysia Tourism Centre (MTC) at Jalan Ampang / Jalan Sultan Ismail intersection for information on tourist spots & cultural shows
- 10.00pm - 11.00pm : take the Monorail to Bukit Nanas station (for Hard Rock Cafe) or Bukit Bintang station (for Planet Hollywood) for some good music
(Petronas Twin Towers, Suria-KLCC Shopping Mall, KL Craft Complex, Bukit Bintang shopping paradise)
- 8.15am - 8.30am : take the Monorail to its Bukit Nanas station (5mins, RM2.10), walk to the Petronas Twin Towers via Jalan Sultan Ismail & Jalan P Ramlee (10 mins).
- 8.30am - 9.00am : queue up for tickets for the Twin Towers' Skybridge guided tour (closed on Mondays)
- 9.00am - 11.00am : while waiting your turn for the Skybridge tour, visit the souvenir shop, Suria-KLCC Shopping Mall, Aquaria-KLCC, KLCC Park, Petrosains-KLCC
- 11.00am - 12.00noon : Skybridge tour
- 12.00noon - 1.00pm : lunch at Suria-KLCC Foodcourt
- 1.00pm - 3.30pm : walk 20 mins to KL Craft Complex (open daily) on Jalan Conlay to view local ethnic handicrafts. Watch resident artists at work & try your hand at "batik" painting.
- 3.30pm - 7.00pm : walk 15 mins to the shopping paradise of Bukit Bintang & Imbi. (Lot 10, Sungai Wang Plaza, Bukit Bintang Plaza, Berjaya Times Square, etc). For electronics & computer gadgets, visit Low Yat Plaza, the all-IT shopping mall.
- 8.15pm - 11.00pm : walk around Jalan Haji Hussein / Jalan Chow Kit street bazaar for light shopping. Also walk along Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman a.k.a. Jalan TAR for more shops, malls, & bazaars
(Masjid Jamek, Merdeka (Independence) Square, Pasar Seni (Central Market arts & handicrafts centre), Masjid Negara (National Mosque & Mausoleum), Islamic Arts Museum, Old Train Station, Bird Park (world's largest covered bird park), Deer Park, Orchid Garden, National Planetarium, Tugu Negara (National Monument), Bangunan Parlimen (Parliament House).
- 8.15am - 8.30am : take LRT from PWTC station to Masjid Jamek station (5mins, RM1.20)
- 8.30am - 9.00am : visit the oldest mosque in KL (build in 1908) at the location where KL got its name ("Kuala" = confluence, "Lumpur" = muddy)
- 9.00am - 10.00am : walk 10mins to Dataran Merdeka (Independence Square) where Malaysia's independence celebrations are held on 31st August each year. World's tallest flagpole (100 metres) can be found here too. Opposite is the Sultan Abdul Samad building, reminiscent of the colonial British empire. Mix blend of Moghul, Moorish, Arab & British neoclassical architecture. Don't miss to visit the National History Museum nearby.
- 10.00am - 1.00pm : walk 10mins to Masjid Negara (National Mosque). Built in 1965, with an open umbrella design. Enjoy short talks on Islam by volunteers from the Islamic Outreach-ABIM non-profit organisation. In the mosque compound, former Prime Ministers & Deputy Prime Ministers were buried here. Across is the Islamic Arts Museum built/donated by one of the richest individuals in the country. Walk further up the hill to the world's largest covered Bird Park, National Planetarium, Tun Razak (2nd Prime Minister) Memorial, Orchid Garden, cooling walk under tree canopies. Also visit the Tugu Negara built to remember the soldiers who fought for the country, and get a great view of the Parliament House from there.
- 1.30pm - 2.00pm : Have lunch at the food court opposite Bukit Aman Police HQ & 300 metres from Tugu Negara.
- 2.00pm - 5.00pm : walk back towards Masjid Negara & visit the Old Train station (replaced by KL Sentral Terminal), National Arts Gallery, and further down the Muzium Negara (National Museum) for exhibition on the various races & their cultures.
- 5.00pm - 5.15pm : walk 10mins across the road from Muzium Negara to KL Sentral Terminal & further to Brickfields area.
- 5.30pm - 6.30pm : enjoy a full traditional massage from blind therapists at Brickfields (Jalan Thambipillay & Jalan Tun Sambanthan 4), near the Monorail KL-Sentral station, for your tired muscles. Over 20 Massage Centres available to choose from. You help support the blinds at the same time. (1hour of massage = RM50).
- 6.30pm - 7.00pm : back to HC by Monorail (10mins, RM2.50)
- 8.15pm - 11.00pm : take LRT from its PWTC station to Masjid Jamek station & visit Pasar Seni (Central Market) for arts & handicrafts. Another 5 mins walk across Jalan Cheng Lock to Petaling Street a.k.a. Chinatown for more souvenirs (mostly fake merchandise)
(Batu Caves, Sunway Lagoon Resort (Amusement Park, Dry & Wet Park, Surf Pool etc), Sunway Pyramid Shopping Centre)
- 8.30am - 10.00am : take Metro Bus or SJ Bus no. 11, or Rapid-KL bus no. U6 to Batu Caves from the bus stop infront of Bank Simpanan Nasional (near the 24-hour KFC Restaurant) on Jalan Raja Laut (5 mins walk from HC). Or take the KTM Komuter train to Batu Caves from the nearby Putra stn (recommended)
- 10.15am - 11.00am : climb up the 272 steps into the Hindu shrine in the caves.
- 11.00am - 12.30pm : back to KL
- 1.00pm - 1.30pm : lunch
- 2.00pm - 3.00pm : take KTM Komuter commuter train to Setia Jaya station. Then walk 15mins to Sunway Lagoon/Sunway Pyramid (closed on Tuesdays except on Malaysian school & public holidays)
- 3.00pm - 9.00pm : spend time at Sunway Lagoon & Sunway Pyramid (bowling, ice-skating, movies)
- 8.30am - 9.00am : take the Monorail to KL Sentral Terminal (17mins, RM2.50) & hop on the half-hourly Genting Coach to Genting Highlands
- 9.00am - 11.00am : express bus to Genting Highlands (1hr 30mins, RM15.00)
- 11.00am - 5.00pm : visit Malaysia's only casino, amusement park, cable car ride, etc. Don't forget to bring a light jacket as daytime temperatures is approx 10-15 degree centigrade.
- 5.00pm - 7.00pm : bus ride back KL Sentral Terminal
- 8.00pm - 11.00pm : take the Monorail to its Bukit Nanas station for a night-out at Jalan P Ramlee nightspots
(Putrajaya - Malaysia's new administrative capital with magnificent architecture & landscaping, Istana Negara (Royal Palace), KL Telecommunications Tower)
- 8.30am - 9.ooam : Monorail ride to KL Sentral Terminal (17mins, RM2.50)
- 9.00am - 10.00am : purchase ticket & board the half-hourly KLIA Transit train to Putrajaya station (25mins, RM9.50)
- 10.00am - 1.00pm : board the Nadiputra feeder bus (no.300) that takes you around Putrajaya
- 1.00pm - 2.00pm : lunch
- 2.30pm : board the KLIA Transit train at Putrajaya station
- 3.00pm : arrive at KL Sentral Terminal
- 3.15pm - 4.30pm : take the Monorail to its Maharajalela station (5mins, RM1.20) & walk 15mins to Muzium Diraja (Istana Negara lama) (Royal Museum, old Royal Palace)
- 4.30pm - 5.30pm : walk back to the Monorail Maharajalela station & take the train to its Bukit Nanas station (10mins, RM2.10). Then walk 10mins to KL Tower.
- 5.30pm - 7.30pm : go up the observatory deck (ticket price RM38) for 360-degrees view of KL
(Melaka - historical state/city with strong Portuguese, Dutch, & British influence)
- 8.30am - 9.00am : take LRT from PWTC station to Bandar Tasik Selatan station for Terminal Bersepadu Selatan (TBS) (30mins, RM3.40). Recommended to purchase bus ticket from "Transnasional" bus company for reliability. Bus will arrive at Melaka Sentral bus terminal.
- 10.00am - 12noon : bus trip to Melaka
- 12noon - 5.00pm : Melaka sightseeing (6 hrs)
- 6.00pm - 8.00pm : bus trip back to TBS at Bandar Tasik Selatan
(final day - checkout)
- 8.30am - 10.30am : last minute shopping for your supplies around Chow Kit area
- 11.00am - 11.30am : checkout from HC
HC @ KL wishes you Selamat Jalan!
.... can't say goodbye to KL ??? ... then extend your stay ...
there's more to see & experience in & around KL ...
- fancy a "kampung" homestay with the local people?
- feel like surfing? ... who say you can't in KL?
- experience a scooter ride in & around KL?
- wanna be part of our hostel crew?
Directions to Hostel Cosmopolitan @ Kuala Lumpur
ARRIVING BY AIR
(Note : Kuala Lumpur is served by 2 commercial airports. The main & newer airport is the Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) in Sepang for most airlines, and the smaller SAAS Airport in Subang for Fireflies & Berjaya Air).
From Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA), go to KL Sentral Terminal :-
If arriving at the KLIA - Main Terminal (KLIA) :-
- take the fast-speed KLIA Ekspress / KLIA Transit train (28 minutes, RM35.00), or
- the half-hourly Airport Coach bus (75 minutes, RM10.00)
- take the fast-speed KLIA Ekspress / KLIA Transit train (33 minutes), RM35.00), or
- take the quarter-hourly Aerosky (formerly SkyBus/Aerobus) coach (75 minutes, RM11.00)
From KL Sentral Terminal :-
- take the intra-city commuter train, KL-Monorail, to its Chow Kit station (17 minutes, RM2.50), or
- take the free GoKL bus & get down near Chow Kit Monorail stn
- take a taxi for RM20.00 per car (to purchase pre-paid ticket at the taxi booth)
approx. RM80 per car (to add 50% midnight surcharge for travels between 00:00 to 06:00)
ARRIVING BY BUS AND/OR INTRA-CITY COMMUTER TRAIN
From Hentian Puduraya (Pudu Sentral) Bus Terminal :-
- take the Ampang-line or Sri Petaling-line LRT (formerly know as Star LRT) from Plaza Rakyat station nearby to PWTC station (8 minutes, RM1.20)
- walk along Jalan Putra / Jalan Chow Kit towards Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman (also known as Jalan TAR) for approximately 10-15 minutes. When you reach Jalan TAR, the KL-Monorail Chow Kit station will be 50 metres on your left. Walk towards the station, then turn right into Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz. After 10 metres, turn right into Jalan Haji Hussein where Hostel Cosmopolitan (in a 5-storey building, & beside 7-Eleven) is located.
- take the LRT at the Bandar Tasik Selatan stn to PWTC stn (30 mins, RM3.40), then walk to HC 5 mins
- taxi costs RM29 per car all the way from TBS to Hostel Cosmopolitan (50% midnight surcharge applies)
- get down onto Jalan Raja Muda Abdul Aziz, and after 10 metres, turn right into Jalan Haji Hussein where Hostel Cosmopolitan (in a 5-storey building, & beside 7-Eleven) is located.
ARRIVING BY INTER-CITY KTM (Keretapi Tanah Melayu) TRAINS
- get down at KL Sentral Terminal & refer to the directions ("From KL Sentral Terminal") above.
From SAAS Airport, which is located 30km west of KL city centre, take a taxi for approximately RM40 per car to the hostel.
How to locate us on the map in your Travel Guide Books?
- Lonely Planet's "Southeast Asia on a Shoestring" 13th Edition - page 426, grid D3
- Lonely Planet's "Malaysia, Singapore & Brunei" 10th Edition - page 84, grid C3
- Rough Guide's "Southeast Asia" 3rd Edition - page 638, top half of the map
EXTERNAL LINKS :
Malaysia's Transport & Travel Info
- KLIA http://www.klia.com.my/
- KLIA Ekspress (fast-speed to KL Sentral) http://www.kliaekspres.com/
- KL Sentral http://www.klsentral.com.my/
- Rapid KL (LRTs & buses) http://www.rapidkl.com.my/
- KL-Monorail http://www.monorail.com.my/
- SkyBus (bus from KLIA2 to KL Sentral) http://www.skybus.com.my/
- Airport Coach (bus from KLIA-Main Terminal to KL Sentral)
- Keretapi Tanah Melayu (KTM Intercity & KTM (Intracity) Komuter) http://www.ktmb.com.my/
- Transnasional Express Bus (inter-city bus) http://www.transnasional.com.my/
- Air Asia http://www.airasia.com/
- Malaysia Airlines http://www.malaysiaairlines.com/
- Firefly http://www.fireflyz.com.my/
- Singapore Airlines http://www.singaporeair.com/
- Cebu Pacific Air http://www.cebupacificair.com/
- Tiger Airways http://www.tigerairways.com/
- Lion Air http://www.lionair.co.id/
- Jet Airways http://www.jetairways.com/
- Virgin Atlantic http://www.virgin-atlantic.com/
- Air India Express http://www.airindiaexpress.im/
- Jetstar / Jetstar-Asia / Valuair http://www.jetstar.com/
- World's Budget Airlines http://www.whichbudget.com/
- World's Budget Airlines (by region) www.attitudetravel.com/lowcostairlines
- Genting Highlands http://www.genting.com.my/
- Petronas Twin Towers
- KL Tower
- Sunway Lagoon www.sunway.com.my/lagoon
Selected Embassies & High Commissions
- Australia : 6 Jalan Yap Kwan Seng (Tel : 03-2146 5787)
- Bangladesh : Block 1, Lorong Damai 7, Jalan Damai (Tel : 03-2148 7940)
- Brunei : 19th Floor, Menara Tan & Tan, 207 Jalan Tun Razak (Tel : 03-2161 2800)
- Cambodia : 46 Jalan U Thant (Tel : 03-4257 3711)
- China : 229 Jalan Ampang (Tel : 03-2142 8495)
- India : 2 Jalan Taman Duta, Off Jalan Duta (Tel : 03- 2093 3504)
- Indonesia : 233 Jalan Tun Razak (Tel : 03- 2142 1354)
- Japan : 11 Persiaran Stonor, Off Jalan Tun Razak (Tel : 03-2142 7044)
- South Korea : 9 & 11, Jalan Nipah, Off Jalan Ampang (Tel : 03-4251 2336)
- Laos : 25 Jalan Damai (Tel : 03-2148 7059)
- Myanmar : 11A Jalan Aman, off Jalan Damai (Tel : 03-2142 7554)
- Nepal : 13A Floor, Wisma MCA, 163 Jalan Ampang (Tel : 03- 2164 5934)
- New Zealand : 21st Floor, Menara IMC, 8 Jalan Sultan Ismail (Tel : 03-2078 2533)
- Pakistan : 132 Jalan Ampang (Tel : 03-2161 8877)
- Papua New Guinea : 11 Lingkungan U Thant, off Jalan U Thant (Tel : 03- 4257 5405)
- Philippines : 1 Changkat Kia Peng (Tel : 03- 2148 4233)
- Singapore : 209 Jalan Tun Razak (Tel : 03-2161 6277)
- Sri Lanka : 12 Jalan Keranji 2, off Jalan Kedondong, Ampang Hilir (Tel : 03- 4256 8987)
- Thailand : 206 Jalan Ampang (Tel : 03-2148 8222)
- Vietnam : 4 Persiaran Stonor, Off Jalan Tun Razak (Tel : 03- 2148 4036)
Kuala Lumpur backpackers lodge
Malaysia malaysia malaysia malaysia malaysia malaysia hostel hostel hostel hostel hostel